Saturday, December 9, 2006

God's NOT Stressed With the MESS, So WHY Should I Be?

I was reading Luke 2 this past week, when the Lord dropped a revelation on me that has had me pumped all week now. As a matter of fact, I really didn't understand why He was giving this revelation to me until about an hour later when my friend Mark Abernathy called me and said that the Lord had spoken to him and told him that I had something to say to his Leadership Team. So, I'd like to share with you what the Lord revealed to me early Tuesday morning.

Luke 2 opens up with some shepherds doing what they do....watching sheep. Then an angel appears and scares them half to death. The angel then tells them to not be afraid because he was bringing them some good news. The Savior-the Messiah-God IN Flesh had been born in Bethlehem and they were to go check Him out. The angel even told the shepherds where to look...in a manger. And if one angel didn't scare them enough, the next thing they knew a whole host of angels showed up singing the "Halelujah Chorus!"

Anyway, when the angels left the shepherds decided to go see this baby. When they got there they found Jesus right where they were told he'd be...in a manger. At this point the Lord revealed something to me that I want to share with you. Are you ready?

Jesus was born in a MANGER! You're impressed aren't you? Think about it though...JESUS-God IN Flesh was BORN IN A MANGER! A manger is MESSY! A manger STINKS! Literally...it stinks. There's animal poop. There's animal funk. It's NOT very appealing, yet Jesus was born there. So we can say that Jesus was born in a MESS! And while a MESS doesn't bother Jesus, we tend to spend the majority of our time trying to keep the MESS out of our churches! When what we really need is MORE of a MESS IN our church!

We've been trying to reach the MASSES without getting the MESS and that's impossible! God spoke to me very clearly and said, "If you'll reach the MESS, I'll give you the MASSES!"

Check this out...in Mark 5, the Gerasene demoniac was so strong that even chains were unable to keep him from wandering around naked and homeless. Yet he was not only delivered from his demons but Jesus commissioned this "former demoniac" to go back to his family and city to tell them of all the wonderful things God had done for him. So he did. When Jesus returned, the MASSES were waiting on Him. And to think it all started with Jesus touching a MESS!

God's NOT stressed with the MESS, so WHY should I be? I'm expecting 2007 to be a MESSY year, and the crazy thing is I can't wait!

Bring on the MESS!

6 comments:

D. Barclay said...

We have our work cut out for us; this world is nothing but a big Mess. Let's continue to pray for more laborers so we can accomplish what God has commissioned us to do. With Christ all thing are possible. Revival Center Rocks in 2007.

R. L. Williams said...

Some good stuff my brutha!! (props to my main DOG!) The treasures God has for us don't always come packaged the way we anticipate!!!! The Ark (like the church) was full of stanky mess... but it is what saved Noah and his family!!!!! I am so excited about what God is doing there and often share the news about the awesome things God is doing at RC!!!! Love ya man!!! YO BRUTHA FRUM UNUTHA MUTHA!!!! Rev. R. L. Williams

R. L. Williams said...

P.S. Can't wait till April to come see what kinda mess yall got jumpin when I get there!!!

Andrew said...

True dat!!! Love it man!! I like the line from Todd Agnew's song, "My Jesus." "My Jesus would never be accepted in my church, the blood and dirt on his shoes might stain the carpet..." Be careful, we may be entertaining angels unaware, despite their messy circumstances, physical, emotional, financial or spiritual.

Michael A. Patterson said...

This ROCKS coach! I love it! I hope you know I'm going to steal your notes, so make it easy on both of us and just email them to me.

Rock On,
Michael A. Patterson
!MPACT Youth Pastor

Nigel said...

That's pretty cool. I never thought about it that way. Where are we going to find the mess to bring the mass? There is a big mess in my room if you're interested. :)