Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Are YOU Available?

A few weeks ago I was out of town preaching a Youth Conference in Pueblo, Co and had something happen to me on the plane that I won't to share with you.

My friend who booked my tickets for me had put me sitting in the middle of both flights, which proved to be very interesting coming and going. Since technology has introduced us to "XM Radio," I've appreciated being able to listen to music and sometimes talk radio (you know you're getting old when you start listening to talk radio) when I'm flying to take my mind off of the reality that I'm 40,000 feet IN THE AIR!

Anyway, so I'm excited about flying home. I've gotten to my assigned seat, sat down with my book and my headphones and just about to put my headphones on and get into my own little world when the Holy Ghost speaks to me and says, "don't put your headphones on." Well, of course I'm like, "God are you sure? My flight is like 3 hours long, and listening to the radio helps me not think about DYING!" Again, the Spirit prompts me to leave my headphones off. So, I roll my headphones back up and sit them in the pocket in front of me with my book.

Just a few minutes later, the lady to my left strikes up a conversation with me. To make a long conversation short, she asks me what I do. I reply with the whole I'm a Pastor, blah, blah, blah. But come to find out, she lives in Ohio. So, I mention that I have a friend who pastors a great church in East Liverpool, and she about falls out of her seat. She LIVES 10 MINUTES away from my friends' church. Come to find out, she passes his church a lot and knew exactly where it was.

I've told you all of that to say this, how many conversation have we missed with hungry people who NEED GOD all because we were in our own little world? In a day where people either have iPod ear buds, wireless Bluetooth receivers, or a cell phone attached to their ear, how many Eternal Opportunities have we missed? How many conversations could we have had with people in our city, in Starbucks, in Wal-Mart, at the grocery store but instead we were busy listening to iPods or talking on the phone.

The bottom line is this, ask any marketing firm what the greatest advertisement is and they'll tell you "WORD OF MOUTH!" That means that the greatest advertisement GOD has is our MOUTH! The greatest advertisement for the Apostolic church is our MOUTH! The most effective way to reach the LOST in your city is to simply start TALKING!

I was glad that I listened and obeyed that day on the plane, but it also convicted me at the same time. As the plane landed we said our goodbyes and I'll never forget her thanking me for talking to her. She said it always bothers her when she sits beside someone on a plane and they never talk. She ended up "thanking" me for something I should have done anyway.

Let's give our iPods a break. Make that phone call later. Instead, ask the Barista what their name is. Buy the person behind you a cup of coffee and hand them a "church card" inviting them to church (I just recently did that too)! Ask questions. Listen. TALK! You might just win a soul!

Are YOU available?

1 comment:

John said...

Hey man,

Appreciate your words...you are exactly right...just talking with people does open up so many doors.

Thanks for sharing the story

JTurner